Skip to main content

Ahhhh It's Math Time!!!!

     I don't know about you but for me math time was my least favorite part of school.  I hated it with every part of my being!  Literally... I loathed it!  Why you ask?  Because I was not a good math student, or so I thought.  Math was where I felt less than equal to the other kids in my class.  Way less equal, like not even on the same page as the others.  I was that kid in the pictures from way back in the day sitting on the stool with the "Dunce" hat on.        
Everyone seemed to be able to answer the questions that the teacher asked and I was still calculating the answer in my head or on my paper.  I know I wasn't the only one feeling that way, but the pressure to be able to respond as quickly as some of the other kids were was frustrating to say the least!  I can remember many times thinking to myself, "How can people like math?"

     When I started teaching I was determined to not let any of the kids in my classroom feel the way I had about math.  I worked really hard trying to present the new skills in many different ways so I would reach all of my students' learning styles.  However, it wasn't until last year that I had an epiphany.  I was sitting at my reading table teaching guided reading.  I had stopped for a minute to look around and check on my kids while they were working in their learning centers.  As I sat there I started thinking.  Why am I teaching literacy in small guided groups?  Answer:  Because not every child reads on the same level or at the same pace.  So you can guess what my next thought was.  Why am I NOT teaching math in small guided groups?  Answer:  Ummm... because that's not the way we do it?  There it was, the old "That's the way we've always done it, " had reared it's ugly head right there in my classroom!
     I started to look at my students and I could visualize the small guided math groups.  If students don't read on the same level or at the same pace doesn't it stand to reason that they don't grow in their number sense and skill base at the same level and pace?  Instantly I knew something had to be done.  Thus began my research into guided math groups.  I mapped out a math rotation for my groups that would allow me to meet with four groups each day.  I still do my number talks and problem solving whole group, but math fluency and concept development are done during math rotations.  The first thing I did was move my math time to the mornings.  Wow!!!!!  Who knew something so simple could make such a huge difference!  The kids were more awake and focused and so was I.  Now we were all ready to get started with our new rotation schedule.

                 I found some great math station maps (Why reinvent the wheel when someone else has already done it for you, right?) on TPT.  These rotation cards made all the difference in the world!  They gave the students a visual picture of where they needed to rotate to next.  The cards are color coded by groups.  There are four different colors.  I found these at Mrs. Samuelson's Swamp Frogs.  You can click here to visit her blog.  She has a lot of great information about math rotations also.   Mrs. Samuelson's Swamp Frogs

I made math fluency binders which the students use during Math by Myself.  They work on math facts to ten, one more, one less, and doubles facts.  I add fluency pages to the binder after we introduce new skills.  Math with a Buddy is where they work together with a buddy playing fluency games.  These are games I put in little storage boxes after we have played them together a few times.  They are stored on a shelf and that way the kids can easily access them.  In Math with Technology the students use our classroom computer, ipads, Smartboard, and Leapfrog products that focus on math strategies.  We use Sumdog, which is a great website that has very interactive fluency games.  For the Smartboard I really like the website Dreambox.  It has great math tools like ten frames, math tracks, and games where the students have to match two numbers together to make 10.  Math with the Teacher is where I meet with my small groups to teach the concept development lesson.  I get to plan these groups based on what skills the students need to work on.  It makes differentiation so easy.  I can work on making 10 in one group, but be working on teen numbers with students in a different group.  It allows me the opportunity to meet my students where they are.  I Love that!
   
     One of the teachers I work with shared with me that she was walking past my room and heard me announce that it was math time.  She said she heard my whole class shout "Yes! Math rotations!"  Hearing that made me smile so big!  We are truly loving our math time now!
Math with the Teacher
Math with a Buddy







Comments

  1. Math in the morning makes perfect sense to me! Makes for a much better start to our day, I'm glad that I switched it around as well. Wonderful post, thanks for always being such an encouragement to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn! Our day starts out better now too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you share your struggles and successes with the world so it can help other teachers! This in wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk Classroom Environment!

     For many years now I've had my own personal opinion about classroom environments.  I'm of the opinion that if we have to send our children to school for six plus hours a day, they should feel comfortable there!  It makes sense right?  No one would want to be forced to stay in a place where they didn't feel comfortable.  So it's no surprise that when I got my first teaching job the classroom environment was one of my top priorities.        Now, I will say that my first classroom was warm and inviting, and I know the kids felt comfortable.  However, today I know far more and have had the benefit of many hours of sitting in conferences that were both enlightening and uplifting.  I've discovered through personal experience and continued education that children react to their environments.  We know this to be true.  We've had those talks with administrators and kid talk teams .  Ever heard the comment, "Well, you know they have a very hard home life."

Purposeful Reflection=a Growth Mindset

     The past few weeks have been fast paced and full of family, food, fun, and finally relaxation!  There is nothing like the day after Christmas.  At our house we spend it with a full day in pajamas, rousing games of Clue, eating leftovers, and watching one marathon show after another.  I inevitably end up snuggled up on my couch with a cozy blanket and my laptop, ready to empower myself in the education world one PLN at a time.  The new year is fast approaching and a goal or resolution must be picked!  The pressure is on, but first...I must reflect!      Yes, it's here!  The daunting task of looking back over our year.  We must all sit back and reflect over our accomplishments and failures.  We will sum up the total of our year as either successful or disappointing.  We will make plans to do better in the year to come and set goals to help us attain "the better" we are searching for.  Reflection is a powerful tool in anyone's belt and must be used if we are truly

Are You Truly Ready?

    I recently read a blog entitled "What's My Name?" by Matthew Arend.  It was so thought provoking!  The author shared a childhood memory of meeting a beloved baseball team while on vacation with his family.  He and his brother stood in the lobby of their hotel for hours asking for autograph after autograph until one player asked them the question: "What's my name?"  When they couldn't tell him, he politely refused the autograph.  The players reasoning was that if you don't know my name then why should I give you my autograph?  Great point, right?       In education we spend a lot of time focusing on our classroom, curriculum goals, personal goals, building goals, and district goals.  Hours and hours are spent in preperation for open house.  We take time to thoughtfully arrange our classrooms.  We make goody bags to welcome our new students.  We spend many hours getting our lesson plans ready for the first few weeks.  What are we doing, though, t