Skip to main content

A Promise...

     Here we go, the preparation is beginning. Educators are sitting in professional development classes, learning new strategies, and making plans.  We are connecting with our PLNs and participating in our favorite chats, all for the main goal of preparing ourselves to provide a meaningful, innovative educational experience for our students.
     Soon we will be given our student lists and we will pour over them to see who we will spend the next nine months with. For me, getting a student list handed to me is like getting a great new book!  I'm filled with excitement, anticipation, and anxiety.  Yes, anxiety at the idea that these children are coming to me filled with the same feelings; excitement, anticipation, and anxiety.  It is my job to put them at ease, think of their feelings and goals as I plan for them. As I turn each page, I digest the information, thoughts swirling as I take in the words.  I will plan for them...encourage them, support them, and for
some of them I will give them a fresh start... a new beginning.
     So here is where I begin.  I begin with a promise.  A promise to accept each child into my heart...
without making my mind up about them before I meet them.  I will promise not see them only for the labels on their files, the words that have been said, or the opinions that have been formed in the past. They are not just a name, not just a child with a disorder, with an academic struggle, or an academic gift.  They are a child, a person with feelings, who desperately wants to feel that I want them, that I'm happy to see them each day. I will make a promise to see them and listen to them, to learn about them,
and to hear their voice. I promise to be the difference.  

To my students...  
     When you succeed, I will celebrate with you and when you struggle I will reflect with you.  We will make a plan together and we will try again, and again, and again... never giving up.  I will set the example for you that failure equals opportunity.  
     I will set the stage for innovative learning, and will provide opportunities for you to lead.  You will become a lead learner and will understand that your learning is lead by your motivation.  You will learn to be the change that makes your life wonderful, and I promise to guide you through that journey.
     Together we will create a safe place where you can come to school and succeed. You will learn that I care about you and the goals you want to reach.  I will give you the encouragement and the tools you need to reach your goals.  I will treat you with respect because you deserve it... you are important, you are strong, you are able.
   
To my families...    
     I promise to make you a part of our journey.  I will talk with you and listen to you.  I will take the time to understand what your concerns are and what your goals are for your child.  We will work as a team to create a plan that will ensure your child's success this year and every year after.  Together we will make it through the highs and lows that come with any great journey.  I promise to remember that this is your child, for whom you want only the best.

     Our journey is about to begin. Our students will soon be entering the doors of our classrooms.  They are hoping for acceptance, for understanding, hoping for a safe place to come each day.  We are responsible for providing that for them.  We must look past everything and understand that they need us.  We have the opportunity to empower them to change their world for the better.  It starts by teaching them that they matter.  They are worthy.  They are loved.  They are strong.  They are ABLE!  It starts with a promise...




~Liz
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk Classroom Environment!

     For many years now I've had my own personal opinion about classroom environments.  I'm of the opinion that if we have to send our children to school for six plus hours a day, they should feel comfortable there!  It makes sense right?  No one would want to be forced to stay in a place where they didn't feel comfortable.  So it's no surprise that when I got my first teaching job the classroom environment was one of my top priorities.        Now, I will say that my first classroom was warm and inviting, and I know the kids felt comfortable.  However, today I know far more and have had the benefit of many hours of sitting in conferences that were both enlightening and uplifting.  I've discovered through personal experience and continued education that children react to their environments.  We know this to be true.  We've had those talks with administrators and kid talk teams .  Ever heard the comment, "Well, you know they have a very hard home life."

Purposeful Reflection=a Growth Mindset

     The past few weeks have been fast paced and full of family, food, fun, and finally relaxation!  There is nothing like the day after Christmas.  At our house we spend it with a full day in pajamas, rousing games of Clue, eating leftovers, and watching one marathon show after another.  I inevitably end up snuggled up on my couch with a cozy blanket and my laptop, ready to empower myself in the education world one PLN at a time.  The new year is fast approaching and a goal or resolution must be picked!  The pressure is on, but first...I must reflect!      Yes, it's here!  The daunting task of looking back over our year.  We must all sit back and reflect over our accomplishments and failures.  We will sum up the total of our year as either successful or disappointing.  We will make plans to do better in the year to come and set goals to help us attain "the better" we are searching for.  Reflection is a powerful tool in anyone's belt and must be used if we are truly

Are You Truly Ready?

    I recently read a blog entitled "What's My Name?" by Matthew Arend.  It was so thought provoking!  The author shared a childhood memory of meeting a beloved baseball team while on vacation with his family.  He and his brother stood in the lobby of their hotel for hours asking for autograph after autograph until one player asked them the question: "What's my name?"  When they couldn't tell him, he politely refused the autograph.  The players reasoning was that if you don't know my name then why should I give you my autograph?  Great point, right?       In education we spend a lot of time focusing on our classroom, curriculum goals, personal goals, building goals, and district goals.  Hours and hours are spent in preperation for open house.  We take time to thoughtfully arrange our classrooms.  We make goody bags to welcome our new students.  We spend many hours getting our lesson plans ready for the first few weeks.  What are we doing, though, t