Skip to main content

What's Your Comfort Zone?

    I had the wonderful opportunity to spend a whole month with my twin sister, Lisa.  This is the most time we have been able to spend together since she left me 6 years ago to move 10 HOURS away!  (Can you tell I didn't handle this move well?)  She and her children spent several weeks here at my home and then my family stayed a week with her at her home.  This last part required my family to pack up and make the ten hour drive to her home in lower Alabama.

ROAD TRIP!
Now, I was super excited about this trip because my sister's house is within an hour and half from the beach!  Yay, beach time!  However, my reaction to this vacation and my husband's reaction were completely different.  Let me explain...

Me:   Yay vacation, beach time, traveling, seeing new sites, woohoo ROAD TRIP!
Jack:  ugh vacation, loading the car, driving places I'm not familiar, going to places I'm not familiar, ughhhh road trip!

    As you can see I'm much more comfortable with trying new things, going new places, and relaxing.  When talking with my husband about vacation he made the comment, "I know everyone else likes vacation and thinks it's relaxing, but for me vacation is the exact opposite.  It stresses me out!  I worry about work, the house, the pets, driving in places I'm not familiar, and all the things that could go wrong when you're away from home.".  Wow!  I thought for a long time about this comment and really started to understand that, for him, going away for vacation is stepping out of his comfort zone.  Something I view as so simple and easy is hard for him.  The expected reaction that most people have to vacation is not at all the reaction he has.  
   
Newest classroom set up.
The 1st classroom set up.
    This got me thinking about my students, fellow teachers, and administrators.  First my thoughts went to my administrators who have worked so hard this year to get our staffulty to step out of the box and grow in ways we might not have thought about doing ourselves. Ha! They were gently urging us out of our comfort zones!  My fellow teachers and I felt excited and were willing  to make this journey because our administrators (aka lead learners) had taken the time to create a safe zone for us.  They grew a school culture that empowered us to feel adventurous enough to try new things that were out of our comfort zones.  My students benefited from this because they got see Mrs. Savage taking chances.  They watched me rearrange our classroom furniture about one million times while I was delving into the idea of an alternative classroom.  They saw me try, fail, try again, express my discomfort with some of the arrangements, and persevere at the "new" thing I was trying to do.  
    Next, I thought of our students.  Comfort zones can feel like steel fences wrapped around us.  Something we think is easy might be hard for them to do.  We need to create  class cultures where mistakes are not only accepted, but expected!  When we model our own failures and risk taking we empower our students to step a little further outside of their comfort zone.  The steel fence gets broken down a little more each time they experience the opportunity to take a risk.  These risk taking moments will happen when you do the work to create an environment that will foster them.



“Students will do amazing things if you can design a class and environment that is positive and empowering.  Rising up to and overcoming challenges, building lifetime relationships, and forging positive connections to school won’t directly result in better test scores.  It will result in better people.  Isn’t that what we’re really trying to accomplish?” ~ Dave Burgess, Teach Like a Pirate



     Think about your comfort zone.  When is the last time you stepped out of it?  Why did you do it?  What motivated you to take the risk?  How can you do the same for your students, fellow teachers, paraprofessionals, administrators?  BE THE PERSON WHO INSPIRES SOMEONE TO STEP OUT OF THEIR COMFORT ZONE!

~ Liz
   
My inspiration! 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk Classroom Environment!

     For many years now I've had my own personal opinion about classroom environments.  I'm of the opinion that if we have to send our children to school for six plus hours a day, they should feel comfortable there!  It makes sense right?  No one would want to be forced to stay in a place where they didn't feel comfortable.  So it's no surprise that when I got my first teaching job the classroom environment was one of my top priorities.        Now, I will say that my first classroom was warm and inviting, and I know the kids felt comfortable.  However, today I know far more and have had the benefit of many hours of sitting in conferences that were both enlightening and uplifting.  I've discovered through personal experience and continued education that children react to their environments.  We know this to be true.  We've had those talks with administrators and kid talk teams .  Ever heard the comment, "Well, you know they have a very hard home life."

Purposeful Reflection=a Growth Mindset

     The past few weeks have been fast paced and full of family, food, fun, and finally relaxation!  There is nothing like the day after Christmas.  At our house we spend it with a full day in pajamas, rousing games of Clue, eating leftovers, and watching one marathon show after another.  I inevitably end up snuggled up on my couch with a cozy blanket and my laptop, ready to empower myself in the education world one PLN at a time.  The new year is fast approaching and a goal or resolution must be picked!  The pressure is on, but first...I must reflect!      Yes, it's here!  The daunting task of looking back over our year.  We must all sit back and reflect over our accomplishments and failures.  We will sum up the total of our year as either successful or disappointing.  We will make plans to do better in the year to come and set goals to help us attain "the better" we are searching for.  Reflection is a powerful tool in anyone's belt and must be used if we are truly

Are You Truly Ready?

    I recently read a blog entitled "What's My Name?" by Matthew Arend.  It was so thought provoking!  The author shared a childhood memory of meeting a beloved baseball team while on vacation with his family.  He and his brother stood in the lobby of their hotel for hours asking for autograph after autograph until one player asked them the question: "What's my name?"  When they couldn't tell him, he politely refused the autograph.  The players reasoning was that if you don't know my name then why should I give you my autograph?  Great point, right?       In education we spend a lot of time focusing on our classroom, curriculum goals, personal goals, building goals, and district goals.  Hours and hours are spent in preperation for open house.  We take time to thoughtfully arrange our classrooms.  We make goody bags to welcome our new students.  We spend many hours getting our lesson plans ready for the first few weeks.  What are we doing, though, t