Skip to main content

The Struggle is Real!

There is a moment that every teacher reaches when working with struggling learners.  It's that moment when you stop and say, "What else can I do?  I've done everything I know to do and yet nothing seems to be helping."  As a teacher, it is one of the most helpless feelings.  Watching a student struggle and become frustrated or even want to give up is a horrible experience, but it is the reality of what happens when a student continuously "doesn't get it."  They eventually do not want to try anymore.

I found myself in this place, once again, with some very sweet, precious, and most importantly hard working students.  They were working their little brains to the point of exhaustion every day trying to read.  Again and again we would go over our letters and sounds, reading strategies, and sight words.  Again and again they would struggle to identify the sight words we had just discussed.  We were building our spelling words and breaking them apart every day and yet...nothing seemed to be working.  Frustration was setting in for both the students and myself.  Something had to be done!

I began to pour over the research about struggling learners and why it can be so hard for them.  I was desperately looking for new teaching techniques that might break through whatever it was that was hindering their progress.  That's when I came across Child1st Publications.  They suggested using a multi-sensory approach with sight words.  I had just recently started using this method of teaching with my spelling words and had seen a huge success with my students.  I immediately ordered their SnapWords® cards.

 These cards offer a visual picture on the front.  On the back there are directions with specific language to teach the students along with a motion.  The great thing about these cards is that they offer a visual picture within the word.  It is not just a picture next to the word it is actually embedded within the word which is basically how you would picture the word in your brain if you were a visual learner.

The fact is, that most of our struggling learners are right-brained thinkers.  They think in pictures and so it is easier for them to take in, store, and retrieve information that is visual or associated with movement.  I myself am this type of learner and it is extremely frustrating for someone to read something to me.  You are truly wasting your time as well as mine.  It enters my brain like a jumble of sounds and noises and after a while starts to make my nerves feel jumpy.  However, if you show me a picture, teach me a song, or let me see the words visually on paper I can input the information into my brain in a much more organized way.  Most struggling learners are right brained thinkers and need to see the WHOLE picture and then examine and break it down into the parts.  However, the majority of education teaches strategies that are based around the part-to-whole process.  We have to start realizing that for a lot of our struggling learners not only do they not learn this way, but for some they actually can not learn this way.

How do we help our struggling learners?  How do we answer the question 'What else can I do?'  It starts by looking outside of what we have been trained to do.  It extends past the curriculum, instruction methods, and interventions we have been given as a whole to use with our students and involves looking outside the box into the right brained thinking world.  It is an impressive world filled with creativity that we can only hope to harness from these amazing little people.  They have so much to offer us and it is our job to find a way to help them effectively learn how to communicate across the hemispheres of their wonderfully intelligent brains.

It has been several months since I started using the multi-sensory approach in my classroom and I have seen so much growth in my students who struggle.  The excitement I have seen in their eyes as well as the sheer amazement they have had at their ability to recall, instantly, the sight words that were impossible before is priceless!  The most important thing they are learning, through this process, is that you can NEVER give up! So when you reach the point where you feel like you have done everything and nothing is working please...don't give up on them.

~Liz



                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Comments

  1. Fantastic post, Liz! What a testimony to our struggle as teachers to do everything we can for kids. We must keep learning ourselves in order to find what works for specific kids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk Classroom Environment!

     For many years now I've had my own personal opinion about classroom environments.  I'm of the opinion that if we have to send our children to school for six plus hours a day, they should feel comfortable there!  It makes sense right?  No one would want to be forced to stay in a place where they didn't feel comfortable.  So it's no surprise that when I got my first teaching job the classroom environment was one of my top priorities.        Now, I will say that my first classroom was warm and inviting, and I know the kids felt comfortable.  However, today I know far more and have had the benefit of many hours of sitting in conferences that were both enlightening and uplifting.  I've discovered through personal experience and continued education that children react to their environments.  We know this to be true.  We've had those talks with administrators and kid talk teams .  Ever heard the comment, "Well, you know they have a very hard home life."

Purposeful Reflection=a Growth Mindset

     The past few weeks have been fast paced and full of family, food, fun, and finally relaxation!  There is nothing like the day after Christmas.  At our house we spend it with a full day in pajamas, rousing games of Clue, eating leftovers, and watching one marathon show after another.  I inevitably end up snuggled up on my couch with a cozy blanket and my laptop, ready to empower myself in the education world one PLN at a time.  The new year is fast approaching and a goal or resolution must be picked!  The pressure is on, but first...I must reflect!      Yes, it's here!  The daunting task of looking back over our year.  We must all sit back and reflect over our accomplishments and failures.  We will sum up the total of our year as either successful or disappointing.  We will make plans to do better in the year to come and set goals to help us attain "the better" we are searching for.  Reflection is a powerful tool in anyone's belt and must be used if we are truly

Are You Truly Ready?

    I recently read a blog entitled "What's My Name?" by Matthew Arend.  It was so thought provoking!  The author shared a childhood memory of meeting a beloved baseball team while on vacation with his family.  He and his brother stood in the lobby of their hotel for hours asking for autograph after autograph until one player asked them the question: "What's my name?"  When they couldn't tell him, he politely refused the autograph.  The players reasoning was that if you don't know my name then why should I give you my autograph?  Great point, right?       In education we spend a lot of time focusing on our classroom, curriculum goals, personal goals, building goals, and district goals.  Hours and hours are spent in preperation for open house.  We take time to thoughtfully arrange our classrooms.  We make goody bags to welcome our new students.  We spend many hours getting our lesson plans ready for the first few weeks.  What are we doing, though, t