Skip to main content

The Honey Choice...

The first nine weeks of school...

So many words can be used to describe the first nine weeks of school.  I bet you thought of several words as soon as you read that first line. This is the time when we make "those comments"... you know what comments I'm referring to...they are the same comments we hear our fellow educators, parents, grandparents, and students saying... there just wasn't enough time, I feel so overwhelmed, MY CALENDAR IS SO FULL, it's too much pressure, I can't do any more than what I'm already doing...
When our schedules are full, and the pressure to get the routines down and the skills taught, and for families, the skills learned... it can be just that...overwhelming and stressful!  Stress brings in negativity.  It creeps into your day little by little and before you know it, your "glass is half empty" attitude has ruined your outlook on what was meant to be a perfectly wonderful day.  

PTA:  Pause, Think, Act!  

I teach my first graders this.  PTA.  Pause.  Think.  Act.  Stop and think about what you're about to say or do.  Will it make someone feel good and lift them up?  Will it help you better your day?  If the answer is no, then you have to choose to act in a different way.  Kind words and actions are like honey, sweet to the soul, and mean words and actions are like vinegar, they sting.  So this is how I teach my first graders.  Are you being honey, or vinegar?  

I was waiting the other day on my kids to gather around my table for reading group.  We were in the process of changing centers.  It had been a rather challenging day for me.  Little things were going wrong, and I was dealing with a particularly challenging behavior problem.  Needless to say, I was having a "vinegar" day. A little girl came to the STEM center.  (Right now our STEM center is Legos.)  I heard her ooh and ahh and then she turned to me and said "Oh wow!  Look at this wonderful creation someone made!  We should share this wonderful creation Mrs. Savage!"  I looked up to see her delicately holding the Lego creation the previous student had made.  It was a simple construction of Legos that somewhat resembled an aircraft of some sort, but to see the look on this child's face...pure wonder, amazement, and pride in another student's work was evident in this little girl's eyes as she looked the creation over.  I immediately got my phone, snapped a picture of the engineer who had designed this Lego creation, and thought to myself...Wow!  Instead of focusing on the negative things...look for the simple joys!  Just as this sweet girl had done.  That's when I realized I was being vinegar!  Here I was sitting with a "glass is half empty" attitude. My perfectly wonderful day was being ruined by my choices!

The Creation

I'm the Driver!

I was reminded today of Rule #1 from Jon Gordon's book, The Energy Bus. We are the driver of our bus! We are in charge of what kind of day we have.  Our choices, our attitude, our work habits... they make or break our day.  We have been teaching this at our school, repeating it to our kids, reading about it, and yet it took a group of our third grade students to remind me that this rule applies to the grown ups too!  So often we get caught up in the struggle of the day, the stressors, and we forget we are modeling for our young children, our fellow educators, our families.  These sweet third graders took time out of their day to create a video to spread the message that we are the driver of our bus.  We have the control to go the way we want to each day.  We just have to make the choice...

Honey.... or  vinegar....

What's it going to be?

I'm the driver... so I choose honey!

Make your day what you want it to be. Be the driver. Choose to be honey. Choose to empower yourself to have a "glass is half full" kind of day!

~ Liz

Mrs. Jones' 3rd grade class at Central Elementary, a model school for The Energy Bus for Schools.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk Classroom Environment!

     For many years now I've had my own personal opinion about classroom environments.  I'm of the opinion that if we have to send our children to school for six plus hours a day, they should feel comfortable there!  It makes sense right?  No one would want to be forced to stay in a place where they didn't feel comfortable.  So it's no surprise that when I got my first teaching job the classroom environment was one of my top priorities.        Now, I will say that my first classroom was warm and inviting, and I know the kids felt comfortable.  However, today I know far more and have had the benefit of many hours of sitting in conferences that were both enlightening and uplifting.  I've discovered through personal experience and continued education that children react to their environments.  We know this to be true.  We've had those talks with administrators and kid talk teams .  Ever heard the comment, "Well, you know they have a very hard home life."

Purposeful Reflection=a Growth Mindset

     The past few weeks have been fast paced and full of family, food, fun, and finally relaxation!  There is nothing like the day after Christmas.  At our house we spend it with a full day in pajamas, rousing games of Clue, eating leftovers, and watching one marathon show after another.  I inevitably end up snuggled up on my couch with a cozy blanket and my laptop, ready to empower myself in the education world one PLN at a time.  The new year is fast approaching and a goal or resolution must be picked!  The pressure is on, but first...I must reflect!      Yes, it's here!  The daunting task of looking back over our year.  We must all sit back and reflect over our accomplishments and failures.  We will sum up the total of our year as either successful or disappointing.  We will make plans to do better in the year to come and set goals to help us attain "the better" we are searching for.  Reflection is a powerful tool in anyone's belt and must be used if we are truly

Are You Truly Ready?

    I recently read a blog entitled "What's My Name?" by Matthew Arend.  It was so thought provoking!  The author shared a childhood memory of meeting a beloved baseball team while on vacation with his family.  He and his brother stood in the lobby of their hotel for hours asking for autograph after autograph until one player asked them the question: "What's my name?"  When they couldn't tell him, he politely refused the autograph.  The players reasoning was that if you don't know my name then why should I give you my autograph?  Great point, right?       In education we spend a lot of time focusing on our classroom, curriculum goals, personal goals, building goals, and district goals.  Hours and hours are spent in preperation for open house.  We take time to thoughtfully arrange our classrooms.  We make goody bags to welcome our new students.  We spend many hours getting our lesson plans ready for the first few weeks.  What are we doing, though, t