Skip to main content

The Gift of Resources

I am blessed beyond reason.
I have three children who often share their plans for what they want to do when they "grow up". They go back and forth between their dream careers and how they plan to reach them.  Each time we have these talks I remind them of the most important consideration...Follow Your Passion and Do What You LOVE!  This is so important because when you do what you love, it doesn't feel like work.  What a blessing to be able to go to work and be excited about being there.  When your work makes you feel like you are contributing, or making a difference in the lives of others... what more could you ask for? I am thankful I am able to set an example of this for them. I look forward to going to school each day. 

I have the honor of working with amazing educators who live by this mantra, making it a point to do what's best for kids.  They continuously set an example for our students that hard work and education leads to completed goals and dreams. They educate themselves in best practices...and then share it with the rest of us! Bethany Hill, our lead learner, challenged the teachers in our building to share resources such as, great articles, blogs, podcasts, graphics, anchor charts, literally anything that could lift someone up or inspire them. She encouraged us to share them on our school hashtag.  Let me say if your school does not have a hashtag, you should suggest it ASAP! It is so awesome to have a link that is literally full of resources that are relatable to what you're doing daily! So fabulous! 

We use our resources to keep up to date in our teaching practices, grow our understanding in certain areas we may not know a lot about, share ideas for the classroom, educate ourselves on current best practices, learn more about something we want to try, or find something to make our lesson a little more engaging. Our resources can inspire us...change who we are as a teacher. Most importantly our resources can help us, as teachers, to make a fundamental difference in someone else's life. I love to see what the other educators in my building are thinking about and researching, or maybe what graphic helped inspire them that day.  It's uplifting...and encouraging...It's an ongoing, cumulative, collection of pure resource goodness! So in honor of Thanksgiving and all things I am thankful for... I am listing some of my favorite resources here for you to explore.  Enjoy!

A Few of My Favorite Things...
Executive Functioning Skills at a Glance  Great place to learn about EFS & Strategies to help!
Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits   An amazing Blog by a wonderful Educator!
Edutopia  Literally, I could get lost reading all the amazing articles on this website!
Kids Deserve It - An endless supply of resources!
mathcoachscorner.com She is truly a math guru!
Growth Mindset How it started a revolution and what you can do to promote it!

I hope you enjoy these resources as much as I do. If you're like me, each of these links will take you to several other links and before you know it, you won't remember where you started! Happy clicking and make sure to share out your own favorite resources!

~Liz 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk Classroom Environment!

     For many years now I've had my own personal opinion about classroom environments.  I'm of the opinion that if we have to send our children to school for six plus hours a day, they should feel comfortable there!  It makes sense right?  No one would want to be forced to stay in a place where they didn't feel comfortable.  So it's no surprise that when I got my first teaching job the classroom environment was one of my top priorities.        Now, I will say that my first classroom was warm and inviting, and I know the kids felt comfortable.  However, today I know far more and have had the benefit of many hours of sitting in conferences that were both enlightening and uplifting.  I've discovered through personal experience and continued education that children react to their environments.  We know this to be true.  We've had those talks with administrators and kid talk teams .  Ever heard the comment, "Well, you know they have a very hard home life."

Purposeful Reflection=a Growth Mindset

     The past few weeks have been fast paced and full of family, food, fun, and finally relaxation!  There is nothing like the day after Christmas.  At our house we spend it with a full day in pajamas, rousing games of Clue, eating leftovers, and watching one marathon show after another.  I inevitably end up snuggled up on my couch with a cozy blanket and my laptop, ready to empower myself in the education world one PLN at a time.  The new year is fast approaching and a goal or resolution must be picked!  The pressure is on, but first...I must reflect!      Yes, it's here!  The daunting task of looking back over our year.  We must all sit back and reflect over our accomplishments and failures.  We will sum up the total of our year as either successful or disappointing.  We will make plans to do better in the year to come and set goals to help us attain "the better" we are searching for.  Reflection is a powerful tool in anyone's belt and must be used if we are truly

Are You Truly Ready?

    I recently read a blog entitled "What's My Name?" by Matthew Arend.  It was so thought provoking!  The author shared a childhood memory of meeting a beloved baseball team while on vacation with his family.  He and his brother stood in the lobby of their hotel for hours asking for autograph after autograph until one player asked them the question: "What's my name?"  When they couldn't tell him, he politely refused the autograph.  The players reasoning was that if you don't know my name then why should I give you my autograph?  Great point, right?       In education we spend a lot of time focusing on our classroom, curriculum goals, personal goals, building goals, and district goals.  Hours and hours are spent in preperation for open house.  We take time to thoughtfully arrange our classrooms.  We make goody bags to welcome our new students.  We spend many hours getting our lesson plans ready for the first few weeks.  What are we doing, though, t