Skip to main content

Embrace It

Embrace...my One Word for 2018. This process has helped me focus on my goals in the past and I look forward to the journey of my One Word again. This might be the easiest One Word I have ever chosen. It came to me after thoughtful prayer and consideration. I wanted a word that would move me into action. Something I could carry with me that would inspire my journey, but also lift me up when I enter the valleys that inevitably come.

Embrace means to accept or support willingly and enthusiastically. This is easy to do when it involves the happy things in our lives like promotions, accomplishments, family, but can be much more difficult when we travel through the valleys in our life. When this word first entered my heart I thought for a moment about what it meant to me. I immediately thought of my oldest daughter, who is a senior in high school. I want to embrace every moment of this next semester with her because I know it will fly by. I want to create a balance in my work life that allows me to focus on quality time with her. My time with her is so precious now, each minute seems so valuable and so fleeting.

I want to fully embrace the new adventures that are right around the corner for me. There are so many learning opportunities I am excited about, and I want to make sure that I don't shy away from any of them. I am passionate about serving my students and fellow educators. I want to grow my resources and embrace new strategies and techniques that will help my students be successful.

I very publicly went through National Board Certification last year. Anyone who has been through this process knows the rigor. So when the results came back and I was faced with the reality that I had fallen short of my goal...I was devastated. The disappointment was overwhelming, but then I realized this was a failure I needed to embrace. We do not always realize our dreams on the first try. In fact we almost NEVER realize our dreams on the first try. I knew I had to stop focusing on the failure and start embracing the 're-do'. My three children had watched me work tirelessly for a year and half and they were as disappointed as I was. This was my moment to model perseverance and determination for them. I talked with them and explained that I was not giving up. I had a new plan that involved me re-doing a component in my certification. It was not an easy re-do and in fact would involve another year long journey. However, I wanted them to understand that anything that means a lot to you is worth working for. So in January I will register again to participate in the National Board Certification process. I will work hard and will embrace the new challenges that are placed in front of me, all the while knowing that I will be better in the end because of my dedication to grow as an educator.

What I understand to be true is this...Growth comes by embracing our limitations and striving to fill in the gaps of our own understanding. We work to learn new ways of helping our students. We work to build relationships that foster trust within our students. We work to provide the best education we can for our students. All of this comes only after we embrace our failures and recognize the areas where WE need to grow. This year has been a learning experiencing for sure. I have learned that students are resilient, curious, and strong willed. They want to learn, but for some that means they have to overcome the obstacles in front of them. Some of these obstacles are easy to move while others require patience, understanding, empathy, and education of the adults working with them. We are their lifeline, their future, their support, their advocate. We have to embrace all of these roles if we want to see a change.

I will embrace the fact that I do not have all the answers. My plan is simple...education. I choose to educate myself first, then I will be ready and equipped to educate the children in my classroom. I am a woman of strong faith. I believe that God calls us for specific roles, duties, if you will. I also believe He never sends us without equipping us first. We have to be willing to embrace the calling, and then accept the education that equips us for the role.

I am thankful for my One Word. My journey is beginning and I look forward to embracing the valleys I will travel through. I know the valleys work together with the mountain tops to create a life that is filled with rich experiences. These experiences will form me into a strong, faith-filled, determined woman who can persevere with the best of them!

May your journey in 2018 be filled with moments that encourage you to embrace each experience as a learning opportunity!



Liz Savage
@SavageLizabeth
savageteacher.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk Classroom Environment!

     For many years now I've had my own personal opinion about classroom environments.  I'm of the opinion that if we have to send our children to school for six plus hours a day, they should feel comfortable there!  It makes sense right?  No one would want to be forced to stay in a place where they didn't feel comfortable.  So it's no surprise that when I got my first teaching job the classroom environment was one of my top priorities.        Now, I will say that my first classroom was warm and inviting, and I know the kids felt comfortable.  However, today I know far more and have had the benefit of many hours of sitting in conferences that were both enlightening and uplifting.  I've discovered through personal experience and continued education that children react to their environments.  We know this to be true.  We've had those talks with administrators and kid talk teams .  Ever heard the comment, "Well, you know they have a very hard home life."

Purposeful Reflection=a Growth Mindset

     The past few weeks have been fast paced and full of family, food, fun, and finally relaxation!  There is nothing like the day after Christmas.  At our house we spend it with a full day in pajamas, rousing games of Clue, eating leftovers, and watching one marathon show after another.  I inevitably end up snuggled up on my couch with a cozy blanket and my laptop, ready to empower myself in the education world one PLN at a time.  The new year is fast approaching and a goal or resolution must be picked!  The pressure is on, but first...I must reflect!      Yes, it's here!  The daunting task of looking back over our year.  We must all sit back and reflect over our accomplishments and failures.  We will sum up the total of our year as either successful or disappointing.  We will make plans to do better in the year to come and set goals to help us attain "the better" we are searching for.  Reflection is a powerful tool in anyone's belt and must be used if we are truly

Are You Truly Ready?

    I recently read a blog entitled "What's My Name?" by Matthew Arend.  It was so thought provoking!  The author shared a childhood memory of meeting a beloved baseball team while on vacation with his family.  He and his brother stood in the lobby of their hotel for hours asking for autograph after autograph until one player asked them the question: "What's my name?"  When they couldn't tell him, he politely refused the autograph.  The players reasoning was that if you don't know my name then why should I give you my autograph?  Great point, right?       In education we spend a lot of time focusing on our classroom, curriculum goals, personal goals, building goals, and district goals.  Hours and hours are spent in preperation for open house.  We take time to thoughtfully arrange our classrooms.  We make goody bags to welcome our new students.  We spend many hours getting our lesson plans ready for the first few weeks.  What are we doing, though, t