Skip to main content

Not My Problem

I watched the events unfold. I should have seen it coming. I knew the signs, the triggers, and yet it still took me by surprise. The stomping feet, screaming, throwing, and refusal. There it was...AGAIN. I had watched this same event take place over and over again. It was like living in Groundhog's Day. Each day I looked for ways to change the events, the triggers, hoping the story would somehow change. Sometimes it did, but it was a gradual change. The kind of change where you have to stand perfectly still and quiet for it to be noticeable. The little changes eventually added up to big changes so that by the end of the year they were obvious. It was a triumphant feeling of victory. It was a victory that I knew came with a lot of heartache, defeat, melt-downs, and sweat...lots of sweat and tears!

Extreme behavior is unpredictable, tiresome, and overwhelming. It can make you feel like you are jumping hurdles with every step you take. The events you watch unfold every day are exhausting, traumatic, and leave you feeling like it will never get better. This is the story for a lot of educators, students, and their families. How can we help support each of the individuals who are involved in this type of daily experience?

I have been in each of these roles at various times in my life.

As a teacher, I have a certain expectation of support. I want to know that I can call for help and someone will come. I want to be heard. I want someone to listen to me.

As a parent, I have a certain expectation for how my child's teachers will support me and my child. That expectation comes with a need for understanding, compassion, and an offer to be actively looking for ways to create a supportive and safe environment for my child. I want someone to listen to me.

As a student, I had an expectation that my teachers would be respectful, caring, and supportive of my needs both academic and behavioral. I wanted someone to listen to me.

Throughout each role, the common need was for someone to listen to me. I wanted my voice to be heard. I didn't necessarily need any action to be taken. I just wanted to know that my voice was being heard, considered, and validated.

Behavior, of any kind, is telling a story.  There is nothing worse than wanting to communicate something and not being able to do so. It compounds the problem, making a bad situation, worse. WE HAVE TO LISTEN! We can gather so much information by watching our students in the way they express themselves through body language, words, expressions/or lack thereof, and reactions to situations. They are communicating in the only way they know how. If their way of communicating isn't working, then it's our job to help them find other ways to be more effective communicators.

I had a conversation this week with a few educators who share my passion for student voice, restorative practices, and behavior intervention. During one of these conversations, I had an epiphany moment.
Here was how this moment went:

A student comes into a teacher's classroom and struggles with a skill that is taught. The teacher tracks the student's performance through data collection. The struggle continues so the teacher begins to sort through her resources and look for strategies to use with this child as an intervention for the lagging skill. If this process is still unsuccessful then she reaches out to the RTI committee or whatever academic support team she has. There is regular communication between the student, the family, the academic support team, and administration until a solution is found. It is a team effort, in most cases, to do whatever it takes to meet that student's need.

A student enters a teacher's classroom and becomes very upset. She is stomping her feet, yelling at the teacher, and refuses to do any further work. Ultimately, she puts her head down and refuses to even respond to the teacher. The teacher sends the student to the office with her unfinished work and a note explaining the behavior. Later, the teacher sends a note home to the parents informing them that their child was sent to the office.

Do you see the difference in how these two scenarios were approached in such significantly different ways?

So why is it when a student enters a teacher's classroom and struggles with a social-emotional skill or a behavioral skill there is not a familiar tiered process for the teacher to move through? In most cases the student's behavior is determined unacceptable, the teacher communicates that to the student, the student's behavior does not improve and an office referral is made.

We need a tiered system we can use in response to student behavior! A system like that would allow educators to treat lagging social-emotional skills the same way they treat lagging academic skills.

We would never assume a child's inability to grasp an academic skill is their fault, but we do that ALL THE TIME to students who have social-emotional or behavioral struggles.

Where was the communication with this child? The data collection? The teacher's efforts to search through resources for social-emotional and behavioral supports for the student? Why was the RTI team not involved or better yet a behavioral support team not consulted? There was no team effort in the second scenario. Noone's voice was heard. That is a huge problem.

When it is an academic struggle, we naturally take responsibility for the problem. I the teacher, research, look through all my resources, consult my PLN, and visit with my student and their family. When that doesn't work then...AND ONLY THEN...I look to my administration to solve the problem...with me. I am still a part of the team even then.

When it is a social-emotional/behavioral struggle....we naturally point that problem to someone else. It is NOT my problem. Someone else needs to come and fix this problem because I can't teach with this going on.

Wow! It's hard to type that last paragraph, but unfortunately, we have ALL felt it, thought it, or said it outloud!

We have to shift our mindset! WE are the leaders in our classrooms. We are the ones setting the example and if we give up immediately on these students and don't take the time to listen to their voice, their stories, who will? They are watching us. They are looking to see how we are going to react. They want to share their story, but some of them need help in knowing how to do that in an effective way. Help them! Be their advocate! They are calling for help and waiting for someone to come. Be the One!


Liz Savage
A passionate educator who wants to #REdefine the way we approach social-emotional and behavioral struggles.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk Classroom Environment!

     For many years now I've had my own personal opinion about classroom environments.  I'm of the opinion that if we have to send our children to school for six plus hours a day, they should feel comfortable there!  It makes sense right?  No one would want to be forced to stay in a place where they didn't feel comfortable.  So it's no surprise that when I got my first teaching job the classroom environment was one of my top priorities.        Now, I will say that my first classroom was warm and inviting, and I know the kids felt comfortable.  However, today I know far more and have had the benefit of many hours of sitting in conferences that were both enlightening and uplifting.  I've discovered through personal experience and continued education that children react to their environments.  We know this to be true.  We've had those talks with administrators and kid talk teams .  Ever heard the comment, "Well, you know they have a very hard home life."

Purposeful Reflection=a Growth Mindset

     The past few weeks have been fast paced and full of family, food, fun, and finally relaxation!  There is nothing like the day after Christmas.  At our house we spend it with a full day in pajamas, rousing games of Clue, eating leftovers, and watching one marathon show after another.  I inevitably end up snuggled up on my couch with a cozy blanket and my laptop, ready to empower myself in the education world one PLN at a time.  The new year is fast approaching and a goal or resolution must be picked!  The pressure is on, but first...I must reflect!      Yes, it's here!  The daunting task of looking back over our year.  We must all sit back and reflect over our accomplishments and failures.  We will sum up the total of our year as either successful or disappointing.  We will make plans to do better in the year to come and set goals to help us attain "the better" we are searching for.  Reflection is a powerful tool in anyone's belt and must be used if we are truly

Are You Truly Ready?

    I recently read a blog entitled "What's My Name?" by Matthew Arend.  It was so thought provoking!  The author shared a childhood memory of meeting a beloved baseball team while on vacation with his family.  He and his brother stood in the lobby of their hotel for hours asking for autograph after autograph until one player asked them the question: "What's my name?"  When they couldn't tell him, he politely refused the autograph.  The players reasoning was that if you don't know my name then why should I give you my autograph?  Great point, right?       In education we spend a lot of time focusing on our classroom, curriculum goals, personal goals, building goals, and district goals.  Hours and hours are spent in preperation for open house.  We take time to thoughtfully arrange our classrooms.  We make goody bags to welcome our new students.  We spend many hours getting our lesson plans ready for the first few weeks.  What are we doing, though, t